Sunday, November 6, 2011

Vegan Black Bean Quinoa Burger

Recently I bought the cookbook Big Vegan, and so far everything I have made has been delicious!! I have made this burger twice now. The first time I made it, I use the sesame seeds as the recipe recommended. However my older daughter and husband did not like it, and since I LOVED it; I had to try again. Whew! The second time my husband declared that it was the most delicious sandwich he had ever eaten! I agreed! YUM!

can of black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup quinoa
2 scallions or spring onions
1/4 cilantro
2 tbsp gluten flour
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin (I used 1/2 tsp so my kids would still eat it!)
1/2 tsp chili powder (I used a couple of shakes of red chili pepper flakes)
salt to taste
onion
tomato
hummus and or salsa
bread or bun

I cooked the quinoa per the box, but I only cooked half of a cup. Then put the drained and rinsed beans in a bowl with the chopped cilantro, spring onions, chili pepper flakes, cumin and salt. While the quinoa was still cooking I cut and onion to saute them. I sauteed it in a pan with olive oil and a very small amount of german rock sugar once the onions were translucent. When the quinoa was done I added it to the bowl and used and potato masher to mash them.


Preheat the oven to 425. Make 4 patties and put them on a greased baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes and flip them over for another 10 minutes. I lighted toasted the buns and spread hummus on them. My husband also had salsa on his. Add the sauteed onions and sliced tomato, unless you have salsa on it as well.

No comments: